Activity 13: Evaluating blogs as a previous step for creating our own

May 19, 2011

| | |
How does blogs look like?


Before the creation of this blog, we were required to search on Internet for blog. This was asked so we could have an idea of how blogs look like and to start thinking on how we wanted our blog to look like. Then we were asked to provide a comment on a couple of them. This is my contribution analysing two blogs about language self-learning:






http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com/Learn-English-blog.html

This blog has various links to different levels of English learners.
The left column has a long list of links which help users to work on specific parts of the language such as pronunciation or grammar.
The right column has adds.
The central part of the blog is a kind of forum, where the people who had a doubt is answered. I like this part because it has the feeling that someone is really helping you and other people can benefit from it as well.
http://english-trainer.blogspot.com/

In contrast with the previous blog, it looks like a more professional cared page. It seems it is meant for advanced level learners or teachers of English as a foreign language.
It looks really nice. It had already more than 20.000 visits!The left column as well as the right one has various links with information of different aspects of the language and of language teaching.





The reasons behind:

Here comes the moment when I have to explain why my blog looks like this. There is a simple reason, but I'm sure it's not the one that will please our teacher. It looks like this just because I thought it would look nice!


Let's be more serious now. Since the blog does not contain a lot of information I thought the best thing would be to have only two columns. I didn't like the templates provided by Blogger. For this reason I googled "free templates blog" and I found a lot of nice websites with hundreds of them, divided by different types of categories. I chose one and downloaded it. Afterwards I just had to add it. Then, at this point I only had to work on it.

Since I am (or try to) be orgonized with the things I do, I decided to keep the same format on each entry I was going to post. So you can see that every post has a tittle (Activity X:) and a subtittle (which refers back to the entire activity). There's also a least a picture on each post, which once again refers to the activity I'm commenting on. Before adding the "real" material (the ones we've been handing in) I wrote a short comment.

Moreover, I decided to add useful links, such as Hot Potatoes. Most of the websites were completly new to me and I liked many of them. For this reason I thought it would be nice to post them on the right column.

On the whole, I would not change a word of all what I wrote during this course. Perhaps I would have done the listening activity differently if I had known what I was really asked to do, I did not understand fully what I had to do.

That's all folks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment