Activity 1: Is this really a self-learning virtual course?

May 19, 2011

| | |
Let's comment on a chapter from one:


When I finished reading the document, I had the feeling that it does not really seems to aim at helping students to be that free! First of all, the language used in the introduction seems not directly addressed to the students themselves:

"activities that will encourage you to test your level of English"
"familiarize yourselves... with those aspects related to foreign language learning."

The objectives of this module try to make students to reflect on the aspects of autonomous learning. At this point I thought: if this is meant to help students to work, why would they have to think about the aspects related to autonomous learning? I think autonomous learners are not worried about the aspects of autonomous learning, but rather interested in suggestions on how to study alone.
When referring to the type of language, I also found that it just covers the issue in the sense that students do have deadlines. They still have to deal with timing. However, I found it positive that they have to keep contact with other learners and, most importantly, to the teacher. I find it nice to "use" the teacher as another tool/source.
I'm really convinced this work does not aim at making students autonomous, but rather to make they work autonomously.

1 comments:

Competitive Exams Study Material said...

Some people feel very uncomfortable and even scared to study alone. They think that there is something else everybody is studying which is worth-studying and you are studying something which won't come in exam. That feeling is very scary. I have gone through it and slowly built the habit of studying alone.

Regards,
Ashok

Post a Comment